Saturday, February 05, 2005

Why This Blog?

I have developed a growing concern about what I call normal sizes churches. The mega church seems to have stolen the spotlight. They are bigger therefore better, or at least, that is what they say. But the average church runs 100 or less in worship. They are still the backbone of American Christianity. Their demise would be devastating to both the Christian faith and to the spirituality of millions of believers.

I believe that in the next 10-20 years, large numbers of smaller churches will close their doors. Unfortunately, it seems that denominational leadership has not taken notice of this. In my own denomination, the emphasis has been on the larger church. This can be seen by the literature they write, the programs they produce and the speakers and churches they promote as examples to be followed.

It is my hope that this blog can become a place of research and dialogue in regard to smaller churches. And I hope that I can contribute in some small way in furthering the cause of Christ through his Church, whether large or small.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Davis said...

In response to Bill. 200 years ago in the USA, only about 15% of the population were church members. So, I am not sure that the 200 year comparison helps.

I do know that many churches are moving at the rate of once every 10 years. They are literally following the population. However, many, many smaller type churches are in population centers that are more than adequate to sustain a church. The problem is not the population, it is often the refusal of the church to evangelize the community.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home